Sync issues and sync speed (possible disk issue)

Please look here to see if your question has been asked before
yoda7

Sync issues and sync speed (possible disk issue)

Post by yoda7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 am

Hi

Firstly can I say how chuffed I am to gave found this community, and that's it's still active some many years after Tonium ditched the PMD. Great work guys on providing this reference library :) Hello everyone!

I've not used the PMD (#0430) for a couple of years and I'm sure last time I did it wouldn't work without being powered from the main. The battery issue seems to have resolved itself but since I deleted all the tracks from the PMD via the Editor yesterday I'm struggling to copy music back on to the device.

So...

1) Is the Editor compatible with Windows 10? I've not tried it on my old Windows 7 PC but will update the post when I have. I'm using version 2.0.2.14170.

2) Sync speed - I've managed to copy 2 tracks on to the device which took about 10 minutes before the Editor returned an error (Sorry friend, an error has occurred please restart the software. Disconnecting the PMD and restarting both the PMD and the Editor allows me to reconnect but I've not been able to copy any further music over. It starts syncing then errors again.

3) File location - I created a folder on my NAS drive for the files to be imported in to the Editor. The files imported and were analysed with an issue. Are the files copied locally or is there a link to the original file? Would copying the music files on my PC and uploading them to the PMD make any difference?

4) When I plug the PMD in to my PC Windows 10 is giving an occasional error message (There is a problem with this drive, please scan it). This seems to tie in with the Editor connecting to the PMD before it errors. I get the message on the device screen saying not to unplug the device but this disappears. Is this an indication the hard drive is on the way out?

If I do need to replace the drive then I may as well replace the battery at the same time. Thanks for posting the info on how to do this. I'm also off to look for another USB cable is case this the issue.

Any advice is much appreciated

yoda7

Re: Sync issues and sync speed (possible disk issue)

Post by yoda7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:43 pm

So it looks like the issue is due to Windows 10... worked fine on Windows 7 and I've the library on to the device. Editor is the same version.

I'm still getting the disk errors when I connect the PMD to the pc tho so I may have an issue here, will have to see how it performs when mixing.

I also copied the music files to the local drive before I imported them in to the Editor. Not sure if this was ever an issue but as it would be able to sync them faster so won't do any harm.

*** Sorry, looks like I posted this in the wrong area, oops ***

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:11 pm

yoda7 wrote:Hi
Firstly can I say how chuffed I am to gave found this community, and that's it's still active some many years after Tonium ditched the PMD. Great work guys on providing this reference library :) Hello everyone!
We the site is here, with the info that there is.... but theres nobody home. Of the 3 admins, one went awol not long after setting the site up, another posts rarely, leaving me the only one that mostly repsonds. Even I'm out of touch, I don't have the latest firmware installed, I don't have Windows 10, I haven't used my own Pacemaker in a couple of years, and I even forgot to check this site the last couple of months. Looks like you've been busier here than me.
yoda7 wrote: 1) Is the Editor compatible with Windows 10? I've not tried it on my old Windows 7 PC but will update the post when I have. I'm using version 2.0.2.14170.
From your post and one from another user where I saw you also replied, it looks like you've found an incompatibility issue with Windows 10. I'm afraid I don't have any solutions for you other than to try compatibility mode, but I think you've tried that 'cos you posted the same suggestion in another thread. If you do find a solution, please post back. Until then I can only recommend keeping a Win7 or Win8 PC
yoda7 wrote: 2) Sync speed - I've managed to copy 2 tracks on to the device which took about 10 minutes before the Editor returned an error (Sorry friend, an error has occurred please restart the software. Disconnecting the PMD and restarting both the PMD and the Editor allows me to reconnect but I've not been able to copy any further music over. It starts syncing then errors again.
3) File location - I created a folder on my NAS drive for the files to be imported in to the Editor. The files imported and were analysed with an issue. Are the files copied locally or is there a link to the original file? Would copying the music files on my PC and uploading them to the PMD make any difference?
I wouldn't expect using a NAS to cause a problem, as long as that NAS is always available when you are using the editor. But you are correct that if it worked without errors, then it would probably sync files faster with a local copy. File's aren't copied locally when imported into the editor, just copied onto the device when you sync your Pacemaker with the library.

I think the Pacemaker device is now of an age where you might consider it "retro". Best advice might be to similarly keep a "retro" PC & OS to use with it. That, or retire your PMD and move on with the times. It was a great device for what it was when it was current, but I think it's time to move on (and I have).
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

yoda7

Post by yoda7 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Hey Sox, thanks for the reply.

Gotta agree with your comments.

I love using this device, great for chilling in the sofa and having a mix. So easy to use and beat matching is so simple. Didn't even know it had a sync function till I found this forum.

I want my kids to learn to use it :D

Anyway, cheers and take it easy