How to...Swap a HDD for an SSD

Step-by-step instructions on how to....
fazz
Admin Fazz
Admin Fazz

How to...Swap a HDD for an SSD

Post by fazz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am

Ok guys, so this pictorial isn't a pictorial yet. I've gone through the motions and done the HDD to SSD swap successfully, but I need to wait on a torxdriver to be able to screw the PMD back together and I don't have access to a camera at the moment. For now, I'll write it up and fill the blanks later.

First up, DISCLAIMER: ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PACEMAKER DEVICE. THIS GUIDE IS ONLY TO BE FOLLOWED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ok so, this was 100 times easier then I ever would have imagined. The trickiest part was getting the zif connectors to fit but even that wasn't too hard.

First up, Things you will need:

1. Pacemaker device (with a faulty HDD or maybe you just prefer an SSD for better speeds)

2. A torxdriver. I'm waiting on my set to figure out the exact size, but I bought this kit

3. A replacement SSD. It must be a 1.8" ZIF/PATA SSD. I got this one and it worked perfectly. KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT size ZIF CONNECTIONS, 0.2 mm and 0.3 mm. This one claims to be 0.2 mm, and apparently is not compatible with 0.3. To be safe, I would go with the same HDD I have listed here.

4. Time (not that much of it either).

STEP 1:

Turn around your PMD and unscrew the 8 screws.

STEP 2:

Take off the backplate

STEP 3:

Locate the HDD and remove the rubber protectors. Carefully fold out the HDD downwards, so you can access the (extremely) small black locking device on the ZIF connection. You must lift this with your fingernail before removing the HDD.

NOTE: DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID AND RELEASE THE ZIF RIBBON FROM THE ACTUAL PMD MAINBOARD ITSELF! IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER IF YOU LEAVE IT IN PLACE AND ATTACH THE NEW HARD DRIVE TO IT!

STEP 4: (The fiddly part)

Remove your new SSD from the box, and release the locking system on the ZIF connection. Very carefully insert the ZIF ribbon into your new SSD. Be sure to lock the ZIF connection again.

NOTE: I accidently ripped my original ribbon (which is the perfect size) and had to use the excessively long one that came with my new SSD. It still works, but you have to fold the ribbon in a certain way (Will include picures below)

STEP 5:

Replace the rubber protectors on the SSD and put it back how it was (little knobbly bits facing down, onto the mainboard).

STEP 6:

Replace the backing, ensuring that the 2 connections (the buttons/USB on the top and the POWER/AUDIO) are made cleanly, and the ribbon does not get in the way. This shouldn't be an issue if you have retained the original ribbon.

STEP 7:

Screw it all together, boot up the PMD. It will ask to restore the hard drive, so restore it. It will reboot and ask for a firmware update, so update the firmware (as you should know how to do by now) and your ready to mix again!

Sorry about the lack of pictures. Any confusions/questions post in this thread and I'll help you out... HAPPY MIXING!

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: How to...Swap a HDD for an SSD

Post by Sox » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Good work Fazz. Once the pics are in it may be worth us mass emailing all our members (new & old forums) with a link to this as I know there has been interest in being able to do this
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

fazz
Admin Fazz
Admin Fazz

Post by fazz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:52 am

Sox wrote:Good work Fazz. Once the pics are in it may be worth us mass emailing all our members (new & old forums) with a link to this as I know there has been interest in being able to do this
I found it remarkably easy, once I realised there was a locking system on the ZIF connectors. I'm going to have to do the pictorial by opening it up, taking out the NEW SSD and replugging it in haha.

NyRo

Post by NyRo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 am

Hi Fazz,

Can you tell us the reference of your SSD please?
The link you gave leads to an ebay page which is inaccessible from France.

For the torxdriver... the kit contain the sizes T5, T6, T8 and T10... What is the good one to open the PMD ?

DrBrazil

Post by DrBrazil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 am

Awesome post...still waiting for Pix!

Can you report on how well the SSD is working? Does it make your Pacer faster (loading track lists, for example) and does it seem to extend the battery life? Any glitches with playback?
Would love to know how any of that is rolling out/working for you!

S

fazz
Admin Fazz
Admin Fazz

Post by fazz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 am

Hey guys, I'm having trouble posting on this thread so if this message comes through thats a good start!

The SSD seems to perform marginally faster, but its just more that I have to worry less about dropping or similar mechanical problems.

KingSpec 1.8" SSD ZIF/PATA - I got 64gb

Thats the SSD, make sure you buy a 0.2mm rather then 0.3mm ZIF connector.

I'm still waiting on the torxdriver so I can put together the PMD again, then I can tell you the size.

EDIT: AWESOME I can post again, I think if you copy paste from eBay it doesn't let you post as a anti-spam measure.

djmsx

Post by djmsx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:17 am

Hi fazz, glad and happy to be a member of this forum, the pmd is a great device and i want to upgrade it ( battery and ssd ), i will wait for your pictures to see how this can be done. But i don't understand the difference between the 0.2 and 0.3 ziff connector, i want to buy a ssd to replace the hdd but there is no reference about the dimension of the ziff connector ??? Can you please post a direct link as i want to put on the pmd a 128 gb ssd. Many thanks.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Difference is 0.1! :D

Must be size thing and should be quoted in the spec of any ssd. Fazz did try to include s link to what he bought on ebay but the forum kept crashing when he posted. No doubt if you pm him your email address he would email you a link

kok6

Post by kok6 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 am

Hi guys,

I was planning to replace the HDD for a SSD.
Do you know if there is a maximum capacity (hardware or software during format) for the PMD.
mine is actually a 120gb so a 128gb SSD should be fine but as price are more and more interresting it could go for a 256gb in the future.
Can people who change for a SSD notice faster synching between the editor and the PMD?

Best Regards

K0K6

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm

£119 for a 240Gb SSD from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/240gb-ocz-verte ... d-635894?C

NOTE: I am not saying this drive is compatible with PMD, purely showing the costs of SSDs. Further research required before purchasing for PMD