Keeping Pace.

Give your feedback about the website and forum,
or make your suggestions here
kinderhood

Keeping Pace.

Post by kinderhood » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:11 am

Well, I dusted number 1567 off and got it running. It's gonna go till it dies, decided that today... it still works, and 8ish years later, with little use, I will run it till it is dead.

thanks for keeping this site and forum up.

I wish I could get this thing as a solid state, read the forum... maybe would pay some chap to mod it for me.

House dj, with anything else electronic in my collection getting time.

Got one from the first batch--- #1567, no cr@p.

Wanted to say keep it going, keep the pacemaker alive, love my unit, and it's great... still

Any word on development on the PMExplorer.???. would LOVE to change some of the track info on the unit itself... tough one... :|

-AoK

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: Keeping Pace.

Post by Sox » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the club. Glad to kow there are more keeping the pace going.

Although I haven't done it myself I don't believe fitted an SSD is that difficult. Have you seen the relevant thread on this forum where one or two member's have done it?
Also Cubicgarden did a good write up on his website

With regards to PMExplorer although it was mostly working and just needed the final bits of polish, I decided that based on the amount of traffic on this website that there just wasn't interest in Pacemaker to justify the amount of my time I was putting in. Members only tend to pop up here and post when they get a problem, and then there only seems to be me that monitors it and posts replies. I wish I had written it years ago when there was a thriving Pacemaker community around the Tonium website.

Although I could give out the application as it is, I just know that for the few that used it there would be support issues and feature requests cropping up, requiring time I don't feel it is worth me putting in.

What sort of info did you want to change? If you have your PMD plugged in when in the editor, you can make changes to the info which typically comes from MP3 tags (artist, genre, title, etc.) Failing that you can use a 3rd party database editor to view (and with a bit of SQL knowledge modify), the information in the devices or editor's databases. Have you checked out the developer section?

Sox
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

kinderhood

Post by kinderhood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Well, seems like there is a shrinking tribe of users... wonder how many are left.. u know...
I have to use the hardware before it dies or some one steals it from me-- haha.

I did look at the SSD mod, kinda involved, and although I am a tech in my day job, I don't wanna screw anything up..
kinda afraid of the beta firmware, reading about the guy who semi-bricked it (I think it was another brick that he did on the non-start)
Does the beta-firmware really work well? seems like the addition of scratching would be sweet, but the issue with any bugs on this device is a show-stopper.... it's good as it is, for what it does...

PM me a link if you would, of whatever isn't available here on the site. I am downloading it all and putting it in the cloud- never know when a resource will be gone, u kno? I really think the PMexplorer project looks nice. I was kinda disenchanted with the lack of development from Tonium, but you know, it's tough, I am sure.... I think the screenshots look great. If it works and the bugs aren't killing functionality, I am happy to try it out. It would have been cool, it was sorely needed. No worry, I don't expect anything, thanks for replying--- support is gone, just chit chat and hopes and dreams...hopes and dreams...

Have you or anyone on the forum found another DJ mixing software for a tablet that is as functional as this machine yet? It is always the breaker when you cannot cue your music and have your mix on separate outputs.... that WAS the reason I bought this thing, it's fo' real.

So about the ID3 tagging and MP3's on device:
I am talking about files ON device. On device there is a heck of a file folder sorting system, but every mp3 is seeming to retain it's tags.
From my attachment, there are like 20 or so different tags available per MP3 -(WAV?) -- some will/should be edited by the device itself (Last Played, Cue Point, maybe Location) but there are other one's like Genre, Year, Composer, Remixer, Rating - these are important for sorting and organizing. Editing these ID3 tags with windows/other id3 tag editor would be cool, but don't wanna screw up my device or the songs by changing them... from what I am understanding-- You can edit these tags with no problem. I would most likely use windows and NOT have the editor running, cause the PMeditor seems to like to take control of the device when it's running. don't want a conflict.

Soon to be dumping new music onto my device with full on tags for fun mixing...

thanks for your time...
-A0K
Attachments
id3 tags.jpg
ID3 Tags
id3 tags.jpg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 18784 times

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 pm

kinderhood wrote:I did look at the SSD mod, kinda involved, and although I am a tech in my day job, I don't wanna screw anything up..
kinda afraid of the beta firmware, reading about the guy who semi-bricked it (I think it was another brick that he did on the non-start).
Does the beta-firmware really work well? seems like the addition of scratching would be sweet, but the issue with any bugs on this device is a show-stopper.... it's good as it is, for what it does...
But the guy that bricked it, managed to unbrick it using advice from DJ Pip, which actually came from Joan and his team.
To be honest I'm not using the latest Beta because what I had before worked ok for me and I don't really use the features like scrathcing and looping, which I understand are improvements. I did beta-test a version in between the last official release and the new beta verison, and this added scratching. To me it was more of a gimmick, though maybe if you are good at using it, you could make it work well. What I didn't like is that if you had it in scratch mode (and you have to enter the setup menu to enable/disable it), you could not push and pull your track to aid in beat matching as instead it scratched backwards and forwards. I might have like scratch if it didn't mean I lost push & pull which are essential when mixing.
kinderhood wrote:PM me a link if you would, of whatever isn't available here on the site. I am downloading it all and putting it in the cloud- never know when a resource will be gone, u kno? I really think the PMexplorer project looks nice. I was kinda disenchanted with the lack of development from Tonium, but you know, it's tough, I am sure.... I think the screenshots look great. If it works and the bugs aren't killing functionality, I am happy to try it out. It would have been cool, it was sorely needed. No worry, I don't expect anything, thanks for replying--- support is gone, just chit chat and hopes and dreams...hopes and dreams...
PM you a link of what exactly? We have a whole previous forum with many more posts than this one. You would probably be most interested in the developer section. However access to that forum is restricted to members, and that forum is now closed to new registrations. I'll create you an account and PM you the details.

I see you've already found PMExplorer. I wish i had done it years ago.

kinderhood wrote:Have you or anyone on the forum found another DJ mixing software for a tablet that is as functional as this machine yet? It is always the breaker when you cannot cue your music and have your mix on separate outputs.... that WAS the reason I bought this thing, it's fo' real.
You do realise that Jonas (inverntor of Pacemaker) bought back the rights to Pacemaker when Tonium/Let's Mix went bust, and went onto implementing Pacemaker for tablets right? So far they have only released it for Blackberry Playbook, but I think we can probably expect it for iOS/Android, but it's been a year in waiting for these verisons so far. Jonas even bought me a Playbook so I could beta-test their app, but to be honest, I still prefer my Pacemaker. A few Pacemaker of us users told Jonas that we didn't think tblet DJing was the way forward, and having tried this I still stand by this. The Pacemaker does work but I think it makes it easy for even the beginner DJ to mix, and this lost some of the appeal to me. I'm happy that it takes some skill to DJ and that not everyone can do it. Unfortunately the playbook cannot drive 2 audio channels (one for live out and one for cueing) and the proposed solution is to use a cable that will split each channel between L and R in the stero output. This makes each channel mono, and a step back that I didn't want to take. I mostly use the Playbook for the internet.

kinderhood wrote:So about the ID3 tagging and MP3's on device:
I am talking about files ON device. On device there is a heck of a file folder sorting system, but every mp3 is seeming to retain it's tags.
From my attachment, there are like 20 or so different tags available per MP3 -(WAV?) -- some will/should be edited by the device itself (Last Played, Cue Point, maybe Location) but there are other one's like Genre, Year, Composer, Remixer, Rating - these are important for sorting and organizing. Editing these ID3 tags with windows/other id3 tag editor would be cool, but don't wanna screw up my device or the songs by changing them... from what I am understanding-- You can edit these tags with no problem. I would most likely use windows and NOT have the editor running, cause the PMeditor seems to like to take control of the device when it's running. don't want a conflict.
The columns of track info that PMExplorer shows you is a fraction of what is actually in the DB. See the database structure that I documented in the developer section. Whilst the tracks on the device may have retained the mp3 info, I believe the device uses only information from the DB, which was initially imported from the MP3 tag info when the track was added to the editor library. I don't think changing the mp3 tags on the device will change anything that you see. You can however use a 3rd party SQLIte database applicaiton for viewing and editing this info if you have a bit of SQL knowledge.

If you still have all your tracks on PC I recommend correcting all the mp3 tag info there first. Then delete all the music from your editor library and the device, re-add then then resync them onto the device. This will have an effect on any mixes already recorded so I recommend you export these to OGG files first so at least you have an audio recording of them.

If you don't have the tracks on PC, you could try the "retrieve tracks" feature of PMExplorer which will copy files from PMD to PC and restore sensible names (using info in the DB). Depends on how bad you info really is as to how well it would rename the files.

I don't "think" changing the tag info on the file on your device which adversely affect anything, but nor will it help. If you rename the file then the device will not be able to find them. If you do edit the info in the database then ensure you do not change the Track Id values as these mean the tracks will no longer be found in any cases or mixes.

Sox
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

clarkcant

Post by clarkcant » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:53 pm

I did the update firmware i love it . i think this thing is great. thank you for the beta. keep up the great work and lets all try to keep this thing alive :mrgreen:

Poline

Post by Poline » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 am

I tried to mod it, but unfortunately, I couldn't. I'm a newbie in development. I just started the internship in outsourcing software development company. I hope I will do it, but not now.

BEATSEQR

Post by BEATSEQR » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:12 am

Although tablets are great, they're still a little behind in some regards to the Pacemaker.
I was on the fence about purchasing a tablet (PlayBook or iPad) or a Pacemaker device, I found an in box 120gb model for $150 and bought it immediately. I was worried I may have made the wrong choice since it wasn't "new" technology, but the built-in headphone jack and Stereo output alone are worth it. This device was years ahead of it's time.
I think PMD to Tablet is kind of like cdj to midi, it comes down to preference mainly.

I highly recommend searching this forum for any questions you have, I've found an answer to almost every question, which is actually why I haven't posted anything yet.