Device not recognized as a drive

Got a problem with your Pacemaker?
Don't worry, post here and we might be able to help out!
CMcCartney1960

Device not recognized as a drive

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Hello,
Bought this for my son for Xmas, and when he connects the device via USB to either his MAC or my Windows PC, it does not recognize it as a new drive. In Windows, the PC recognizes the new device and tries to add the driver, but I get a message that says the device driver failed to load and that the device 'may not work'. Any suggestions? Thanks

CM

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: Device not recognized as a drive

Post by Sox » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 am

There is no driver to be installed.

Try a different usb port. One directly on the motherboard and not on an expansion port or a usb hub will work best. If you you have a usb cable with a ferrite core built in, use this. Lastly if you have a mains adapter (only the 120Gb model comes with one) try again with this plugged in.
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks. Tried this, but the results are the same. When it is plugged in via USB, the device turns on, shows the Pacemaker logo, then turns off and repeats, but i can launch it into the system check mode. Holding down the FF and RW buttong and channel two at the same time to reformat it. itll self check but wont reformat. Also i dont have a power cable availabel only the usb, but im assuming you can charge the unit with the usb.

im thinkinh eitheri need and a/c or d/c power unit, ill locate one and if that dosnt help im assuming its the usb or the device. but like i said, it wont become recognised by my mac or my no matter what usb i use. =/

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 am

Sorry I forgot, it's easy. After all the warm up stuff due to plugging it in as you describe, you then have to turn it on!

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:46 pm

You're right, that sounds easy.. but the only thing the power button does is stop the device from doing that repeated series of the Pacemaker logo, followed by red/green colors flashing, followed by the white lights of the control buttons. The menu never comes up. It sure seems like there is a bigger problem. Thanks.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Ok you now seem to be describing different effects from your first post. All my previous advice is good advice which has worked for others (though not necessarily all), when describing PC not recognising a PMD.

So had your problem moved on from one to another? Maybe your problem has changed as a result of performing a reset to default operation, which in your case hasn't done you any good. Even, as I understand it your current problem is that your device is continually rebooting. I don't think it will be recognised by the PC in this state. Is it true that is not connected to USB port at all, pressing power on button does nothing? This would confirm no charge in battery.

If you device is a 60Gb model, we do have suspicions of 60Gb models playing up, possibly (though not confirmed) something to do with them only being charged through the USB port. All PMDs do need at least 10% charge before they will turn on. Maybe your device isn't charging to get to this level. If you are able to source a mains adapter then it may (or may not) help, but is worth a try. the one that came with my 120Gb model is rated 5V output at 2A. It has what I would describe as a 3mm power connector with the +ve on the inside, -ve on the outside.

Out of interest I get this same reboot loop myself on of my two Pacemakers, the one that has no battery fitted. When plugged only into the USB it goes through the cycle you describe. It is only useable if I plug in the mains charger. This supports my theories and suggestions above. I would say any of the following could apply
- Battery is duff and will not hold charge
- Battery connection is not good
- Device not charged enough via USB (yet)
- USB charging circuit not working via your combination of PC, USB port and USB cable

After ensuring you have plugged your device into a powered USB port (and not through a hub etc), have you left it on for a couple of hours to give it it's best chance of charging up?

Here are some other threads which may be of interest.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=140

By the way, I will move this thread to the PMD Device - Problems forum as it has nothing to the with the website or forum (where it current is) and everything to do with device problems

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22 am

Hi.. I did find a power adapter that is 5 volts, 2 amp, 3.5 mm, but not 3 mm. Is the 3.5 correct? If so, I will order one.

Thanks

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Thats probably right but if you can find one with various output connectors, all the better

Seabee

Post by Seabee » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm

I have the exact same problem as Cartney with my new 60GB device. Same result on my desktop and laptop. I will check if I can get a power supply cord as described above.

Will post result. Thanks.

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:57 pm

I've ordered one online but still waiting for it to be delivered. If this doesn't do the trick I'm going to return the unit and maybe try to find another one (I bought this one used from Amazon, but the seller is not familiar with it. They will take it back, no questions asked, fortunately).