New cases not transferring to device

Got a problem with your Pacemaker?
Don't worry, post here and we might be able to help out!
neilski

New cases not transferring to device

Post by neilski » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 am

Hi, I'm using my old pacemaker with a new mac laptop. I downloaded the latest editor software – 2.02.14170 - onto the new computer. The device seems to connect okay. However, I cannot copy any new cases or tracks onto the device. I drag and drop the cases/tracks from editor to device window... it seems to be synching... albeit very slowly... occasionally it stalls or crashes... but either way, the new cases/tracks never actually show up on the device. So I can only use the device to play my old music. The device has the latest firmware version: 14142. Please help! N

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: New cases not transferring to device

Post by Sox » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi,
I don't have a mac so if your problem is mac specific then I may not be able to help from experience.

However I suspect that your problem may be because on your new mac & editor installation you have effectively started again, whereas on your Pacemaker you have not. The databases of both need to be in sync, but your Pacemaker already has a partially filled database, of which the editor is unaware. Whilst you can sync your Pacemaker to the editor, I don't think you can sync the editor to the Pacemaker.

When you add a track to your editor, it is assigned a unique track Id (number). For a new database I would assume this starts from 1. However if you already have say 1000 tracks on your Pacemaker, numbers 1 to 1000 are already used up. Therefore trying to add another Track 1 to your Pacemaker from your new tunes, may be causing the sync process some problems.

If I were you I would probably start again with your Pacemaker. If you were to reformat your Pacemakers's hard drive, it would effectively start off with an empty database. It doesn't matter that you already have your new tunes in your editor, just copy them to the device sync the two databases.

The disadvantage of this method is that you wil lose the tracks already on your Pacemaker, and if you do not have copies on your mac, you will have lost them. Of course you will also have to spend time re-adding those older tracks back into the editor (which will be analysed and takes time), and will also have to be sync'd (copied) with the Pacemaker.

If this doesn't work, then after reformatting you will end up with no tracks at all on your Pacemaker, leaving you worse off than before you started. Therfore If you have the disk space on your new max, before proceeding with my advice I would copy the whole of your Pacemaker's harddrive to somewhere on your mac so you have a backup. You can always copy it all back later if my advice didn't work.

Let us know how you got on.

Sox
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

neilski

Post by neilski » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Sox, thank you for a most prompt and thoughtful response. Shall do as you advise. But first another question: How do I back up the tunes on my pacemaker onto another hard drive?

When I plug the device into the MacBook, it shows up as an external hard drive.
But when I double-click on it, the mac says there is nothing inside. No files, nada. So nothing to copy onto the computer.

Am I missing something? Is it a mac issue? Or is there a way of using Editor to back up tunes from device onto another hard drive?

Much obliged again.

neilski

Post by neilski » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:25 am

I did as you advised. Reformatted hard drive on device and am now laboriously copying all my tunes onto it. Lost the music stored originally on the device but most it was already backed up elsewhere. Just need to copy it. Thanks for the fix.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I will answer you previous question for the benefit of all.

If you turn on showing of hidden files and folder on you computer (sorry, don't know how to do this on a mac), then you should see a .Pacemaker folder. Under there is a music folder, which itself contains many numbered folders. You can just copy the whole .Pacemaker or the Music folder to copy you files (and the .str beat analysis files), but in transferring tracks to your device, it renames them like "30055e7e.mp3". However they do still contain the mps tag information so after copying to your pc/mac, you could use an application to rename you files based on the tag info (eg. title & artist). You will however end up with your tracks spread out amongst many numbered folders and subfolders.
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them