Device Won't Power On After "FS Clean"

Got a problem with your Pacemaker?
Don't worry, post here and we might be able to help out!
bones

Device Won't Power On After "FS Clean"

Post by bones » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 am

Today I fully charged my new Pacemaker, upgraded to the latest firmware, then followed the instructions on the How-To thread to re-format the HDD, rather than manually erasing the 1000-odd songs that were on it when I bought it. It completed that task and re-started but "Clean FS" didn't erase anything so I switched it off to try "Restore FS" but now it won't switch on and nothing happens when I plug it into my PC. I tried the long, long press on the power button but it didn't do anything.

Strangely, my first PM did the same thing one day, not after I had been doing anything to it but just randomly when I went to use it. I thought it had bricked itself but a couple of days later I went back to it and the long press got it going. So I am not quite panicking yet but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: Device Won't Power On After "FS Clean"

Post by Sox » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 pm

FRo your previous experience I would say the only difference a couple of days would make, is that after this time your battery will likely have run flat, thereby ensuring you are cold booting (power on) rather than warm booting (recovering from standby).

FS is the "File System", or everything on your harddrive. Not sure what "clean" does exactly. However since several users have replaced their HDD with SSD that contained no Pacemaker FS, I would say the PMD should be perfectly capable of putting down an FS when it needs to. Perhaps "Restore FS" is just a way of forcing this. But I guess if it will not power on for you, then you can't choose this option.

If you have a mains adapter for it (you should if it is 1120Gb model) then it will power up even without a battery connected. If you removed the hard drive (in case a corrupt FS is affecting things) I would still expect it to power up, but give an error message.

If it we me I would perhaps try removing both (or waiting for battery to discharge) and then see if it powers up. If you can get it to power with HDD fitted then you might be able to go for the "Restor fs" option after all. If not, I'd try a different HDD (or maybe an SSD).
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

bones

Post by bones » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:39 am

Hmmm... It turned on OK this morning but about 30 seconds into the first track I tried to play it stopped and gave an Error 0201, then went dark again and now it won't boot at all. I've never had an error before so now I am starting to get worried. I hope I haven't done my dough on this.

About the battery, this unit seems to have amazing endurance. In a week of non-use it went from 90% to 80%. At that rate it would take the best part of 3 months to drain it fully.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Mine would drain within a week whildt turned off :(
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them