analyze tracks

Please look here to see if your question has been asked before
rickwwallace

analyze tracks

Post by rickwwallace » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 am

Whats happening with the analyze tracks? I see I can turn it on and off. does the pacmaker have to have the tracks analyzed? I need to load a lot of music for a gig and I don't know if it will finish 'analyzing before I am ready to go.

Rick

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: analyze tracks

Post by Sox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:44 pm

I guess you mean the analysing within the editor, as the Pacemaker doesn't do any analysis itself.

I've never tried it, but if there is an option to turn off analysis then I guess it doesn't have to be analysed. This means you will not have the bpm info, nor the beat graph available to you. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how well do you know your tracks (to know which are of a similar bpm), and how good are you at beatmatching by ear?

Are you trying to put your whole music collection on the device (in which case, how well practiced are you with the Pacemaker, and if not, should you be using it for a live gig so soon?), or just a load of news songs you would like to play for your gig? If the latter then I'm sure you have enough time between now and then to get those tracks analysed and transferred to your Pacemaker. Whilst I am not a gigging DJ, in preparing my Pacemaker for the 30 of 40 new songs I might have to play at a party, this whole process would take perhaps 30 minutes.
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

gingerz

Post by gingerz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:07 pm

I have a few FLAC files that just won’t analyze… any thoughts why not?

They play perfectly within the Editor.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Sorry no. I've never used Flac files

gingerz

Post by gingerz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Well, let's say they were MP3s.

If they just wouldn't analyze what would you put that down to?

Any workarounds there?

I think that I saw that you could get it onto the device without analysis?

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Maybe copy protection? Have had a friend had some problems with mp3s and wmas that he got from iTunes.
Just guessing, but could also me that the flac standard has moved on since the Pacemaker flac support was added, and you have newer files that it can cope with

If it were me I would try opening it in an audio editor and saving it as a new file, even if you have to convert to a different format.

It's been 18 months or so since I last used my own Pacemaker. Will the editor not let you transfer to your PMD until the analysis has finished?
You could try turning off "Run Track Analysis" in the editor's preferences before you import your new tracks into the library.
Without analysis you won't have any beat info or bpm, so you'll have to mix by ear.

You could use an SQLite database editor to manually edit the bpm info if you know it.
I looked but it seems the PMExplorer I wrote doesn't allow you to make changes such as this.

pacemakerman

Post by pacemakerman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:34 am

Hi,

I just got mine yesterday. I love it.
I need help as well to figure out how to put songs on the PMD without having it analyzed!
I have tried turning off the option on settings and when music is imported into editor, it dose not alazyze it but when I try to get it on to the device, it says "one or more file has not be analyzed and force me to analyze it.

software is not great at giving you the bpm and it always over rights my bpm in id3 tags when I import them.

Any suggestion? or do you think software can be modified to ignore the "un-analyzed" files and copy them anyways?

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:19 pm

If you don't analyze, yes it might nag you but I don't think it forces you to overwrite does it?
Why not just leave it analyzing overnight? Whilst the bpm may not be totally accurate, it is a good guide and it enables you to have the beat grid available which can also help.

Nobody is going to be modifying the application unless you want to hack it yourself. The editor software itself is 4 or 5 years old now and there will be no further updates