How To... Upgrade To Windows 8 (and keep your music library)

Step-by-step instructions on how to....
Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

How To... Upgrade To Windows 8 (and keep your music library)

Post by Sox » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I have just taken up Microsoft's offer of an upgrade to Windows 8 for £25 (offer available until January) and thought it might be worth passing on some info to fellow Pacemaker users....

Initially I ran the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and it informed my that some programs (such as Office 2003 and Visual Studio 2010) were not compatible, so I uninstalled these. Others it advised I would have to find an upgrade. And it also listed about 40 apps that were compatible. The pacemaker Editor was not listed in any of these lists.

I purchased the upgrade and upgraded my Vista PC, electing for the option of "Keep Applications & Personal Files". The upgrade worked flawlessly but when investigating my new OS, I couldn't find any trace of the Pacemaker Editor application (or a number of others).

By searching my C: drive for "Tonium" I identified that the old editor installation folder was still there but had moved to
c:\Windows.old\Program Files\Tonium.
Similarly my roaming folder where my music database was kept had moved to
c:\Windows.old\Users\Sox\AppData\Roaming\Tonium

Therefore the sequence I applied to have a working Editor installation using my old music library was:
  • Install the Pacemaker Editor (download from here)
  • When running the setup it advised me that it had stopped an unrecognised app from launching, so I pressed "more Info" and then "Run Anyway"
  • Once installed I copied my old Tonium roaming folder from c:\Windows.old\Users\Sox\AppData\Roaming\Tonium to C:\Users\Sox\AppData\Roaming\Tonium
  • Started the Editor and noted all my tracks were there!
Let's Mix!
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them